Sunday, April 27, 2014

The advice your mother never gave you.

    Ask someone if they think the human race is generally good and most will answer "of course not". There are murders everyday, rapes, robberies, mass genocide, and countless acts of heartlessness committed so frequently that who wouldn't think us humans are down right horrid? They'll tell you life is hard, it's misery from the start, people are bad, be cautious, don't trust anyone. In the states we learn from the get go not to take candy from strangers, accept a ride, or even look in the direction of someone your unfamiliar with. Does this early conditioning set us up for a lifetime of being overly cautious? Developing trust issues or leading a life of subconscious solitude?
     I don't think this lack of trust in fellow humans is a global view. Here in Thailand people are generally kinder to one another. On numerous occasions while traveling I have thrown caution to the wind and put blind faith into a complete stranger. I've travelled from Bangkok to Chiang Mai by hitching a ride in the back of a pick up truck. I've made my way around national parks by waving down numerous motorbikes, and I've explored country side villages by accepting offers to go home with a local for dinner. I have learned about the Vietnamese/American war while riding around on the back of a moped with a man who possessed a passion for history. I experienced a traditional death anniversary ceremony by staying at the home of two young Cambodian sisters.
    Some of you might be shaking your head saying "what a stupid girl, gonna wind up kidnapped or worse". I'm not stupid, careless, or uneducated on the dangers that lie dormant until provoked. I understand some people have bad intentions, but I also understand that some people don't. I think that's what most westerners lack, the understanding that some simply don't. If you constantly live your life thinking "what do they want from me, why are they being nice there must be a hidden agenda". Then you will never know the gratitude that comes with being treated kindly, the humbleness that comes from letting another person help you, and the joy of one day being able to return the favor.
So take some candy from a stranger once in a while... Sometimes it tastes the sweetest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment